Vezina Battle A Four-Horse Race; Over-40 NHL Award?
* Toughest call for Spring trophy-voting will be for the Vezina. How do you pick among Tuukka Rask, Ben Bishop, Kari Lehtonen and maybe even King Henrik Lundqvist?
* I say Oliver Ekman-Larsson should be way ahead of Ryan Suter in the Norris Trophy race. I wouldn't even consider Erik Karlsson.
* Isn't it amazing that pheenom Rangers back-up Cam Talbot got his hockey education at an Alabama college?
* Right now the "Who's Better -- Crosby or Ovechkin?" debate has Ovie in the lead.
* Colorado's double-dip goaltending tandem of Semyon Varlamov and J.S. Giguere gets far too little praise for the good work these puck-stoppers have done.
* Too bad the NHL doesn't have a Best Veteran Over 40 Award. This would be a neat race between teammates Martin Brodeur and Jaromir Jagr.
* For all the hype heaped on Seth Jones, Anaheim's Hampus Lindholm gets much less than he deserves. At least Sports Illustrated has noticed him. SI says that Hampus "Thinks the game like a vet and rarely makes a poor decision."
* There's one thing you can say to explain any Penguins malaise -- the regular season is treated as if it's an exhibition campaign leading up to what really matters to Pittsburgh, THE PLAYOFFS.
* Is there such a thing as Best Referee in the NHL these days? If so, please clue me in; thank you.