* Martin Brodeur is seriously looking for an NHL job and that, automatically, is the best story of the Summer.
* Really, it's melodrama on a par with the annual Free Agent Frenzy -- only better.
* The reason why the Keep Marty Off The Unemployment Line is better than the Readers Digest story-of-the-month is that this happens only once in a lifetime.
* From Brodeur's angle, this is not an open-netter because Mister Goalie has been spoiled by multi-multi-millon-dollar deals and this pact -- if he ever gets one -- will lower him to the blue-collar category of moolah.
* For example, Salary Cap restrictions compel the Maple Leafs to offer Marty a mere pittance of a million bucks to be Jonathan Bernier's back-up.
* Meanwhile, nobody seems to be questioning the most important priority question: How much -- if any -- top drawer puck-stopping is left in Monsieur B's repertoire?
* Hey, just because Marty still is enthused about The Game it doesn't mean that any general manager -- David Nonis included -- wants a marquee name who can't stop; the puck anymore.
* As for Brodeur's exit from New Jersey, to put it as diplomatically as possible, he didn't exactly toe the politically correct line, did he? (Not by a long shot or a snapshot.)
* I agree with the Toronto Sun's Steve Simmons when he points out that Jason Spezza's refusal to play for Nashville has to do with JS's refusal to go up against so much Western center ice talent.
* That said, if I was in Spezza's skates, I'd be tickled to skate for any American team that wanted me.
* The Sad Story Of Wasted Talent Gone Wrong is Mike Ribiero. Being bought out by Phoenix; the utter humiliation.
* Are there any ten-foot poles around with which a g.m. now will touch Ribiero? Ditto, Thomas Vanek.
* Of course there is; somewhere in the Kontinental Hockey League.
* I say that Jimmy Rutherford will succeed in Pittsburgh because James knows his onions and puck chasers; so there!
* Ever since the days of Kent Douglas, winners of the AHL's (best defenseman) Eddie Shore award have done well in the Bigs. That's why T.J. Brennan is now an appetizing free agent.
* If Ryan Callahan is happy and Steve Yzerman is happy and Marty St.Louis is happy, that makes the Lightning-Rangers deal of tester-month a tonic for everybody.