* Okay. I officially surrender. CORSI is here to stay and I will be the 1,567th to admit it. Hey, it ain't hurting anybody is it?
* Besides, old pal Jim Corsi was decent enough to publicly admit that he was only partially responsible for creating this absolutely, positively irreplaceable new set of stats. (There, that's a surrender if I ever declared one!)
* Speaking of stats, here's an interesting one on the Predators. Boss David Poile had his eye on Vincent Lecavalier but the cost was a bit steep. Instead, Dauntless Dave signed Mike Ribeiro, Olli Jokinen and Derek Roy for a mere $500,000 more than he'd have forked over to aging Vinny.
* Five Teams Under The Most Pressure? In The Hockey News -- Thanks again to Kukla's Korner as usual -- columnist Adam Proteau lists:
I respectfully (of course) disagree.
* I say Oilers first because the disgust level in Edmonton is at its highest. Leafs fifth because Air Canada Centre would sellout if a team of giraffes put on Maple Leaf jerseys and skated; Caps fourth in my book; pressure relieved by new general staff; Pitt third because the Pens natives are restless. Sharks second; same as Pitt.
* Speaking of the Penguins, here's a question worth mulling by Jim Rutherford-Mike Johnston: Malkin-plus-Crosby -- Can It Continue To Last: Or Is It Time To Deal The Russian?
* Answer To Above: Take your best offer, Jim, and complete the change-over while keeping Captain Sid. The Gold Dust Twins are rusting.
* How Time Flies and Changes Are Made Department. In the May 2008 issue of the Hockey News, Claude Julien (Boston), John Stevens (Philly) and Michel Therrien (Pitt) were picked as Coaches of the Year in that order. General managers were led by Ken Holland, Paul Holmgren and Ray Shero. Only Julien and Holland are in the same jobs.
* Best Line From a General Manager: "I have a five-year plan and it changes every day."
* Ray Shero's amended quote: "Whatever you have on paper in the Spring, trust me, next October it's going to be different."
* My personal amended quote: "My predictions for the season -- starting in September -- change by the month." (Hey, it's a free country, isn't it?)