* Edmonton fans are less than pleased with Owner Katz’s apology letter published in the local dailies.
* Then again, why should any Alberta hockey fan tolerate Oilers ineptitude for so long?
* Brian Burke’s support of Bob Hartley’s moves inspiring the Pier Six Brawl — and its aftermath — in Vancouver parallels backing that John Tortorella received from his bosses in British Columbia.
* The difference, of course, is that Hartley was not suspended and Torts was and, furthermore, this is a major black mark on the Canucks coach’s dossier.
* Then again, Vancouver’s ownership hired JT precisely because of his volcanic nature although it’s doubtful that the high command expected its tank commander to invade enemy territory in such a direct confrontation.
* You have to love the manner in which Anaheim has remained the very creme de la creme of the NHL. Likewise, if you’re a Ducks fan you also have to be wondering if Bruce Boudreau’s lads have peaked too soon.
* That is, ‘way, ‘way, ‘way too soon!
* They all laughed when the Rangers acquired Dan Carcillo. But who’s got the last laugh now? Glen Sather; that’s who.
* What’s more the Blueshirts’ surge began precisely when Dangerous Dan came to Seventh Avenue and 33rd Street, home of the Rangers players’ entrance.
* If this Flyers offensive keeps up, Craig Berube must get consideration for the Adams Award as coach of the year.
* The Penguins can win every single game from here to April but their playoff expectations will be from here to nil as long as Marc-Andre Fleury remains numero uno between the pipes.
* I don’t care how the NHL defends the officiating system but I say that four zebras on the ice is one too many. Let Coly Campbell figure out where to put the other linesman.
* The minute the Toronto media horde begins its annual “What’s Wrong With The Leafs?” chant, you can bet that Randy Carlyle’s sextet will get hot. Which is precisely what has happened.
* By far the most unheralded rookie is Rangers goalie Cam Talbot.
* Not to be confused with Jean-Guy Talbot who is no relation.
* Guaranteed; we won’t see another NHL coach invading the enemy’s dressing room again this season.
* Maybe next but, then again, is there a Tortorella facsimile in the crowd?