* The one player I insist has the MOST to prove in the upcoming season is On-Again-Off-Again Thomas Vanek.
* Nobody knows this better than the Minnesota high command; happy to land the sharpshooter and the Habs happy to unload the sometimes-malingerer; as proven in the playoffs.
* By far the most overlooked terrific move was Dale Tallon's nabbing of Willie Mitchell. My favorite unsung defenseman will be for the Panthers everything that Jovo was not.
* Check out the Kings roster and you'll find that their only possible debit is overconfidence.
* Talk about survival you have to put John Scott at the top of the list. Talent is minimum, size is maximum and every year he lands a job. This time with the Sharks. Go figure.
* Then again, I can say the same thing about Olli Jokinen, except that the Blond Bombshell has talent. No doubt he'll keep his bags packed while trying to turn the Preds into winners.
* In case you missed it, the secret to the Jason Spezza-to-Dallas-deal is that g.m. Jim Nill wisely added Ales Hemsky to the equation.
* With Tyler Seguin as top center, Spezza comes in at the Number Two Pivot slot giving the Stars strength down the middle so important in the Wild West.
* As the number of arresting UFOs rapidly disappear, my next guy to sign for any team would be Steve Ott; as solid as they come in grit areas any club can use. Islanders perhaps?
* Then again, Garth Snow has piled up more forwards than he can use which means training camp will separate the winners from losers; which would be any fourth-liner.
* Snow and Jack Capuano have plenty of time to figure who's going to flank the ever-improving John Tavares. Likely, Tavares, Kyle Okposo and ?????
* With Brian Gionta moving to Buffalo, a major Canadiens decision surrounded the Montreal captaincy.
* I say it cannot be anyone but P.K. Subban, a leader if ever there was one; and who cares about his flair; you gotta love it!
* Another Habs plus; the addition of P.A. Parenteau who knows how to score in both languages, English and French.
* Now that Washington has corralled Mats Niskanen and Brooks Orpik, where does that leave Mike Green? Where else, but the trading block.