* `Paul (The Overrated) Stastny to the Blues looks a lot better than it will be for St.Louis. This is a case of style -- or media hype -- over substance.
* Good, Stastny is; but not nearly exceptional as the deal he's got would indicate.
* The Babbling Brooks Orpik to the Capitals move has inspired a lot of anti-Orpik hostility among the We Hate Brooks camp. But that only means that he'll be an asset in Washington.
* I don't figure that Not-So-Joltin' Jarome Iginla will mean much to the Avalanche except to prove that Colorado landed a former marquee player with the accent on FORMER.
* Then again, you can say that same thing about Neither Is He So Rapid Ryan Miller's move to Vancouver. We all know that Miller's game has slowly deteriorated ever since he gave up that cheapy to Sidney Crosby in the Olympics of long, long ago.
* I wish I had a dollar for every time my buddy, Peter (The Great) Ruttgaizer, guaranteed to me over the past three months that Thomas Vanek was going to wind up in Minnesota. (Nice going, Peter!)
* Mike (The Marvelous) Cammalleri will go a long way to helping solve the Devils difficulties in winning Shootouts. Then again so would Marek Zidlicki had Peter DeBoer employed the slick defenseman in this department.
* Brad (Super Rich) Richards to Chicago ranks among the most intriguing signings of the Free Agent (And It Is A) Frenzy. To put it simply, I'm not so sure about this one; unless the Rich man can settle in as third or fourth-line center.
* Good start in Pittsburgh with Gentleman Jim Rutherford filling in his defense with Christian Ehroff. More important will be Sidney's bounce-back-ability after his blah-times-ten playoff.
* My favorite Lou Lamoriello line is "Do what's right and do it now." Larrupin' Lou did just that by bringing home my buddy -- and favorite back-up goalie -- Scott Clemmensen. Clemmer will battle it out in camp with Keith Kinkaid, another of my favorites.
* Granted that it's not hockey-politically-correct but Martin Brodeur's exit from New Jersey will prove to be addition-by-subtraction.
* The indisputable fact remains that the longer Marty hung out in Newark the more confusing the Devils goaltending situation was for everyone in the dressing room.
* Okay, you tell me; who's going to sign Brodeur for more than a million and guarantee Mister Goalie more than 29 games in goal?
* Not I, sir or madame!
* I'll be stunned to the very core if any NHL team signs No Longer Dangerous Dany Heatley before July turns to August. Or even August turns to September.
* Then again, as the late, great Fats Waller once said, "One never knows -- do one?"
* Glen Sather solved his point-man-on-the-power-play dilemma with one, swift move -- nabbing Danny (Still Dangerous Dan) Boyle.
* Jason (Who Needs The Captaincy) Spezza had to get out of Ottawa's turbid atmosphere. His career will go up-up-up in Dallas. If anyone is in his prime it's Jay-Jay.
* Sorry, Eastern foes, but the Sabres no longer will give you two freebie points. Tim Murray did swell with the quaint quintet of Brian Gionta, Matt Moulson, Andrej Meszaros and Cody McCormack.
* Sometimes the moves not made on Free Agent Frenzy Day are the best. Ergo: I commend Garth Snow's restraint; although I'll miss Nabby Nabokov big-time. (I hope the feeling is mutual.)