* Judging by NHL coach-hiring this young summer the owners are either going the cheap route or deciding that retreads are for tires and not benches.
* On the other hand, the chap with two Kings Cup rings happens to be Darryl Sutter, a retread if ever there was one.
* Which means there's some awfully good retread talent available for the Penguins, starting with Ron Wilson, Tom Renney and Mike Keenan, just to name a few.
* I have no problem whatsoever with the Hall of Fame picks; except why did it take these blokes so long to admit Pat Burns?
* The Selection Committee knows darn well that it could have admitted Burns when he still was hale and hearty. This procrastination on Pat was disgraceful, I say.
* No question that Claude Lemieux belongs in the Hall of Fame but his case is like that of Pat Burns; someone on the committee had it in for him.
* If I suffer doubts about anyone who mad the Hall it would be Bill McCreary. Nice guy, sure. But in the 1994 Game Seven -- Rangers-Devils -- when Billy Mac allowed Mike Richter to push him against the glass at the end of the third period without even a minor penalty; man that ain't Hall material no how, nowhere.
* And if McCreary can get in, what about Kerry Fraser or are the powers that be still angry at Lord Fauntleroy because he was an activist?
* Speaking of Powers -- as in Eddie Powers -- he was a better referee than any of the above on the best day any of the above ever had!
* Someone should have the courage to tell Don (Grapes) Cherry that he no longer requires circus suits to command attention.
* Or is Grapes waiting for vaudeville to come back?
* This is purely personal but I'd sure love to see Matt Moulson back on the Island alongside John Tavares.
* Did Ryan McDonagh peeve-off some member of the Canadian media who then went about the business of telling us how many other NHL defensemen are better than the Rangers blueliner?
* Every season, it seems, Alex Ovechkin has to explain to his new coach that this year Big Eight will be a team player.
* Then, when the new campaign starts, it turns out that Ovie was only kidding!